Friday, September 28, 2007

A Fair Day Hug

A big annual event at this time of year kicks off today here in town. The State Fair of Texas opens, and Big Tex begins his booming, "Howdy, folks," greeting to fairgoers. Many people in our office take their lunch break to watch the Opening Day Parade -- and to some, it's the real sign that fall has arrived. (Although we're told to expect 97 degree temps today.) One of my favorite entries in the parade is the U.S. Marine Corps band. They're magnificent and they're such a powerful presence.
Another interesting fact about the fairgrounds is that the buildings were constructed for the 1936 Texas Centennial Exposition, and they have remained the largest collection of Art Deco buildings in the world. There are still a lot of traditions associated with this event, and although I've only been a handful of times myself, there's a certain spirit that it brings to downtown Dallas that seems to herald the holiday season in a special way.

A lot of people don't care for Texas or Texans, but I promise I'm one of the good guys ... and I know LOTS of others who are, too. :)

Today's word art is meant to inspire you to give yourself a hug. You deserve it! DOWNLOAD

Blessings to you all,

Melanie
Font credits: Alex Regular, CK Sugar Cookie, Beyond Wonderland, Classic Typewriter, CK Quick Stitch, Blackout Serif

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the kind comment on my blog! Bonnie

iSSa said...

thanks so much for the freebie!

mom2triplets04 said...

thank you for sharing this wordart. I just took the perfect picture the other day for this. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Would love to visit the Texas State Fair someday! And... I love Texas and Texans... even though I live in Delaware!

My mother's family all live in and around the panhandle... and visiting with all of them was a wonderful treat! We went for family reunions a couple times and toured all the places Mom loved as a girl.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the freebie!...i also live in texas (DALLAS) and i love the texas state fair...i go every year, and will be going this saturday! anyways thanks again!!

Anonymous said...

Thankyou foe the word art. I'm looking forward to using it.